ALICIA KEYS, JOSH GROBAN, BLACK EYED PEAS, AND TOBY KEITH JOIN
LIVE 8 CONCERT LINE-UP IN PHILADELPHIA,
ACCORDING TO AOLMUSIC.COM
RUSSELL SIMMONS SIGNS ON AS PRODUCER
CELEBRITY PRESENTERS INCLUDE SALMA HAYEK AND NATALIE PORTMAN
DULLES, VA – June 27, 2005 – Chart-topping superstar artists Alicia Keys, Black Eyed Peas, and Toby Keith have joined the U.S. lineup of artists that will play the Live 8 concert in Philadelphia on July 2. Russell Simmons, chairman of the Hip Hop Summit Action Network, met with Bono last week to discuss Live 8 and has been working closely with producers on the Philadelphia show. In addition, a long list of A-list celebrity presenters will participate in Philadelphia; they include Salma Hayek, Natalie Portman, Chris Tucker, Jennifer Connolly, Jimmy Smits, and Kami, the HIV Positive Muppet.
Russell Simmons said, “My role in LIVE 8 is focused on America giving and to promote the idea that giving love, compassion and support is the foundation of a successful foreign policy. There is no defense greater than love.”
The Live 8 event will be broadcast entirely online at aolmusic.com , with special programming set to air on MTV, and on radio at XM Satellite Radio and on Premiere Radio Networks. Negotiations are ongoing with ABC Network.
These artists –among the biggest names in music — will be performing at all-star concerts in cities around the world to support the campaign to “make poverty history.”
Live 8 will feature concerts in Philadelphia, London, Paris, Berlin, Rome, Cornwall, Toronto, South Africa and Tokyo to raise awareness about poverty in Africa and encourage the leaders of the G8 nations to eliminate third world debt, increase aid to Africa and adopt fair trade practices.
As the exclusive online partner, America Online will broadcast six of the Live 8 concerts live from start to finish at aolmusic.com in addition to a live worldwide broadcast of all of the concerts from around the world. AOL will also make the performances available on demand for six weeks following the event. AOL will help activate its worldwide online audience, by providing on-site reports from bloggers at the concert cities, links to news and information about poverty in Africa, and to relief organizations and charities.
“This unprecedented line-up of star performers testifies to the importance of this international emergency. Live 8 is sure to be one of the greatest musical events in history and we are thrilled to make it available to people around the world online,” said Jim Bankoff, Executive Vice President, Programming and Productions, America Online.
“The commitment of these artists and actors to raising their voices to support the mission of Live 8 make poverty history is as inspirational as their work,” said Tim Sexton, Live 8 America Executive Producer. “We are not likely to see another event of the scale and passion of Live 8 again in our lifetime. Live 8 is honored to add these great talents to this
unprecedented and historic global event.”
Including the new artists announced today, artists scheduled to perform at the Live 8 concerts around the world include:
Philadelphia – Alicia Keys, Black Eyed Peas, Bon Jovi, Dave Matthews Band, Destiny’s Child, Jars of Clay, Jay-Z, Kaiser Chiefs, Keith Urban, Linkin Park, Maroon 5, Rob Thomas, Sarah McLachlan/Josh Groban, Stevie Wonder, Toby Keith, Will Smith
- London – Annie Lennox, Coldplay, Dido, Elton John, Joss Stone, Keane, Madonna, Mariah Carey, Ms. Dynamite, Paul McCartney, Pink Floyd, Razorlight, REM, Robbie Williams, Scissor Sisters, Snoop Dogg, Snow Patrol, Stereophonics, Sting, Travis, U2, UB40, Velvet Revolver, The Who, Youssou N’Dour
- Paris – Andrea Bocelli, Axelle Red, Calogero, Cerrone/Nile Rodgers, Craig David, The Cure, Diam’s Dido, Disiz Lapeste, Faudel, Florent Pagny, James Brown, Jamiroquai, Johnny Hallyday, Kool Shen, Kyo, Louise Bertignac, Manu Chao, Muse, Pascal Obispo, Placebo, Raphael, Renaud, Youssou N’Dour, Yannick Noah, Shakira, Sheryl Crowe, Tina Arena, Zucchero
- Berlin – A-ha, Audioslave, Bap, Brian Wilson, Chris De Burgh, Die Toten, Hosen, Green Day, Herbert Gronemeyer, Joana Zimmer, Juan Diego Florez, Juli,Katherine Jenkins, Renee Olstead, Sasha, Silbermond, Sohne Mannheims, Wir Sind Helden, Reamonn, Roxy Music,
- Rome – Claudio Baglioni, Faith Hill, Irene Grandi, Jovanotti, Laura Pausini, Nek, Tim McGraw, Articolo 31, Gemelli Diversi, Le Vibrazioni, Max Pezzali, Negramaro, Tiromancino, Negrita, Libague,
- Tokyo – Bjork, Def Tech, Dreams Come True, McFly, Good Charlotte, Rize
- Cornwall/England – Ayub Ogada (Kenya), Shikisha (South Africa), Thomas Mapfumo & The Blacks Unlimited (Zimbabwe), Angelique Kidjo (Benin), Tinariwen (Mali), Daara J (Senegal), Modou Diouf & O Fogum (Senegal), Marian Mursal (Somalia), Akim El Sikameya (Algeria), Chartwell Dutiro (Zimbabwe), Geoffrey Oryema (Uganda), Siyaya (Zimbabwe), Coco Mbassi (Cameroon)
- Toronto – African Guitar Summit, Barenaked Ladies, blue Rodeo, bruce Cockburn, Bryan Adams, The Bachman Cummings Band, Celine Dion, Deep Purple, Doba Caracol Feautring Kna’an, Gordon Lightfoot, Great Big Sea, Jann Arden, Jet, Les Trois Accords, Motley Crue, Our Lady Peace, Sam Roberts, Simple Plan, Tom Cochrane, The Tragically Hip
- Johannesburg – 4Peace Ensemble, Jabu Khanyile and Bayete, Lindiwe, Lucky Dube, Mahotella Queens, Malaika, Orchestre Baobab, Oumou Sangare, Zola
For the expanding list of performers and more information about the Live 8 Concerts, visit: http://www.aolmusic.com .
About America Online, Inc.
America Online, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Time Warner Inc. Based in Dulles, Virginia, America Online is the world’s leader in interactive services, Web brands, Internet technologies and e-commerce services.
Suzy Berkowitz for America Online: 646-805-2016, [email protected]
Elizabeth Freund for Live 8: 718-858-3550, [email protected]
Seth Amgott for DATA/ONE Campaign: 202-639-8010, [email protected]
Laura Hynes for Russell Simmons: 212 843-8095, [email protected]
Caption: Russell Simmons and Bono at a recent meeting in London to discuss the Live 8 events slated for Saturday, July 2. The concerts, which will be streamed live on the web at www.aolmusic.com , are calling for increased aid to Africa from the leaders of the 8 most powerful nations, by asking people around the world to raise their voice as one and lobby politicians through calls, emails and letters.